It is that time of the year again; the sun is getting hotter, the temperature increases steadily and our skin gets dry. Time to take action! Give your skin and your baby’s the extra love and attention it deserves. Because before you know it your smooth summer skin changes into a dry and itchy one!
One of the main reasons for getting a dry and itchy skin is the changing air humidity, due to Global Warming. Sebaceous glands are responsible for the protection of our skin. They release a greasy natural substance all over our body that protects our skin from outside influences. Because sebaceous glands are becoming less productive at lower temperatures, it is up to you to protect your (baby)skin! Say goodbye to dry by following my tips:
- The most important thing is to keep the skin greasy, even when you are cooped up in your air-conditioned office all day! This can be done by using the right products (for example a Nurturing Cream or a Body Lotion). These products protect, soften and nourish the skin easily.
- There is nothing better than ending your day by having a long bath or shower. But the longer it takes, the more it will dry out your skin. When taking a bath or shower it is better to use lukewarm water and reduce the amount of soap. The combination of hot water and soap damages the natural essential oily layer on top of our skin.
- During your daily (mini) spa it is better to use a mild soap (or more preferably) a shower or bath oil. These products prevent dehydration. Not only will your skin be able to protect itself better when it is hydrated, but it will look better too!
- After bathing it is important to hydrate the skin as soon as possible by using a moisturiser such as Body Lotion.
- Last but not least it is better to wear comfortable clothes made from soft fabrics (like silk or satin) instead of wool, because wool can irritate the skin. So remember not to buy those wool winter jackets when you go overseas!
Dermatologist Dr. Elian Brenninkmeijer