What is eczema?
Eczema, put simply, is an inflammation of the skin, involving dry, red spots, often with flakes. With the smallest babies, it is usually on the cheeks and bottom. In children, eczema moves to the elbows, knees, wrists, and ankles. The natural lipid barrier of the skin is less present with eczema, leading to dry skin. The spots often also itch and can be very uncomfortable for your little one.
Is eczema contagious?
Good to know: eczema is annoying, but not contagious.
What not to do when your baby has eczema:
1. Daily baths or showers
- Water dries the skin even further, so you don’t want to overdo bath time. Hot water makes this effect worse, so pay attention to the temperature.
2. Clean the skin with soap
- Soap dries out the skin and that worsens the eczema. Ouch. More information on alternatives to soap below!
What you should do when your baby has eczema:
1. Bathing or showering three times a week
- That is more than enough really. As mentioned above, frequent baths can dry the skin even further.
2. Use an oil based product in the bath
- Use a bath product that cares for the skin and prevents unnecessary drying out. For example, choose Naïf Milky Bath Oil. With soothing ingredients such as chamomile and cottonseed oil, this is the perfect solution to leave your baby clean and fresh without drying out their skin.
3. Dab the skin dry
- The skin of a baby is 5 times as thin as an adult, and eczema makes the skin even more vulnerable. Never rub dry, but gently dab with a soft cloth. This will prevent the skin from being irritated further.
4. Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize
- Moisturize daily with a thick, moisturizing cream to help you repair the skin. In a thick cream, there is less water than in body lotion, which makes it perfect for dry areas. You can safely use Naïf Nurturing Cream (specially formulated for children with eczema prone skin) on the body and face to immediately ease the itch. Everything is better with cream on top.
Have questions? Feel free to shoot us an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. Interested in more information like this? Sign up below for updates and receive 10% off your next purchase!